The Netherlands Association for the Study of Obesity (NASO) was founded in on May 19th 1989 by Professors Jaap Seidell, Wim Saris, and Ir. Maria Hoffmans (†).
In addition to annual national meetings (see ‘Meetings’), NASO hosted the European Congress on Obesity (ECO) in Noordwijkerhout in 1992 (chairs: Profs. Jaap Seidell and Wim Saris) and in Amsterdam in 2009 (chairs: Prof. Ellen Blaak and Dr. Tommy Visscher).
Connection and contribution of NASO members to EASO
– Prof. Jaap Seidell has chaired the European Association for the Study of Obesity.
– Prof. Marleen van Baak has served as EASO’s secretary.
– Prof. Ellen Blaak served as EASO’s Secretary since 2012.
– Dr. Gijs Goossens served as co-chair of EASO’s Scientific Advisory Board since 2017.
EASO’s New Investigators United (NIU)
EASO’s New Investigators United (NIU) has been established by Dr. Tommy Visscher and Dr. Kirsi Piëtilainen (Helsinki, Finland) in 2005, and was approved by EASO’s Secretary at the time, Prof. dr. Marleen van Baak. Dr. Gijs Goossens has served as a Board member of NIU (representative EASO’s Northern Region) from 2010-2016, and Dr. Emanuel Canfora is NIU Board member since 2018.
The EASO’s Young Investigators Award has been awarded to several members of the NASO:
* Prof. Dr. Patrick Schrauwen (2001) from Maastricht University Medical Centre
* Dr. Marieke Snijder (2005, Basic Research) from the Amsterdam Medical Centre
* Dr. Gijs Goossens (2011, Clinical Research) from Maastricht University Medical Centre.
* Dr. Joris Hoeks (2012, Basic Research) from Maastricht University Medical Centre.
* Dr. Johan Jocken (2015, Basic Research) from Maastricht University Medical Centre.
The EASO’s New Investigators United Best Thesis Award on obesity has been awarded to several NASO members:
* Dr. Salome Scholtens (2008) from the University Medical Centre Groningen
* Dr. Johan Jocken (2009) from Maastricht University Medical Centre
* Dr. Emanuel Canfora (2017) from Maastricht University Medical Centre